Thursday, November 21, 2013

Goddess of Light

Goddess of Light by P.C. Cast
ISBN: 978-0-425-22709-1

Pages: 344
Appearance: 


Summary:

Tired of dating egomaniacs, interior designer Pamela Gray has nearly given up on men. She was to be treated like a goddess – preferably by a god. As she whispers her wish, she unwittingly invokes the goddess Artemis, who has some tricks up her celestial sleeve…
Twins Artemis and Apollo have been sent to the Kingdom of Las Vegas to test their mettle. Their first assignment: make Pamela’s wish come true. So Artemis volunteers her golden brother. After all, who better than the handsome God of Light to bring love to this lonely woman?
It might be a first, but here in Sin City, where life is a gamble, both god and mortal are about to bet on a high-stakes game of love. Hey, you only live once. Or do you?




Hey guys! First of all, has anyone read the House of Night series that P.C. Cast wrote with her daughter? I’ve read some of the novellas like Neferet’s Curse and the Fledgling Handbook. WOndering if I should try out the series. I love series and all, but when a series has 10+ books in it, it just turns my interest off. Anyway, if you’ve read it, let me know below what you thought.

On to the book review. May I just say that I think the summary is really badly written. I’m sorry editors, but it just doesn’t go along well with the book’s plot. Artemis and Apollo weren’t assigned to make Pamela’s wish come true. Pamela just made a wish at the wrong time and unknowingly shackled herself to Artemis who used Apollo to “get rid” of the mortal. They also weren’t sent to Las Vegas to “test their mettle.” Zeus wanted the gods and goddesses to mingle with the mortals for fun. Bacchus just wasn’t too pleased about it. And a quick question, isn’t Bacchus the Roman name from Dionysus? If we’re referring to him with his Roman name, then why isn’t Apollo Sol and Artemis Diana? Pamela actually uses Diana as Artemis’ code name when they meet her client. Just a thought. Also, the last sentence: Hey, you only live once. Or do you? I just think it’s a really bad ending and gives away too much information. Maybe that’s just me.
Okay, done with the complaints. Onto the story. Pamela is kind of love suspicious, if there’s a term out there. She was married to Duane, this suffocating egomaniac who pretty much pinned her down under a microscope and examined every aspect of her life. AFter the divorce, he stalked her for another 6 years before somewhat giving her more space. She goes to Vegas on a job offer for an author by the name of E. D. Faust. First impression of him? Big, uncomfortable with fans, and doesn’t have a very good taste in architecture. But the author surprises us by making him a more dynamic and round character towards the middle of the story, so I promise you’ll like him more later on. (He gives really good love tips.) At the same time Pam’s in Vegas, Zeus has opened the portal to Bacchus’ city for the gods to mingle in. Artemis thinks mortals are useless and pathetic. Apollo wants to find his soul mate. (Read Goddess of Spring for more background info.) Bacchus tries to stir up some trouble by giving some nymphs the ability to cast an invocation spell on the mortals which Pamela unknowingly responds to. And so the trouble begins.
Apollo has probably become my favorite god after this novel. After watching Hades find his soulmate in Lina and seeing the effect love had on the god of death, he becomes what Artemis calls “soft” and longing for love. After Artemis tells him to “get rid” of Pamela, he finds himself trying to see if she could be his possible soul mate. Ugh, you have to read to understand the feels I’m getting from this. He is just perfect.
The ending. Oh my lords, the ending. I can’t. I seriously can’t. It’s just perfect x1000. I don’t want to give it away, but you’ll get a little sneak peek when I put up the excerpt. It’s just beautiful. The thought makes me turn into the crocodile from Peter Pan on a ton of chocolate and seeing Captain Hook dangle in front of me. Also coated in chocolate. Yeah...that’s how awesome it is.
image
I highly recommend this story. You don’t have to appreciate mythology romance to completely fall in love. So go read it and tell me your thoughts!







A lot of men wouldn't like being called a romantic. It's not macho enough.'

Quite often men are fools.

Soul mates do always find each other, Artemis thought.” 

There are no guarantees in love Pamela, just endless opportunities for hurt and for happiness.

In order to know true love, you have to open your heart to the possibility of true hurt.

We can only try to live our lives with enough joy and passion that when our time is finished, we leave behind more good memories than regrets.

It was a good thing Artemis would be immortal again in a few days. At the rate she was going, it was either immortality or alcoholism
.
They branded me as the virgin goddess because I refuse to shackle myself to one mate. I take love where I will. I decide who and where and when. My real pleasure comes from my freedom. My favorite lover is the forest, my oldest companions are my handmaiden nymphs. (Artemis)

You may rest assured that this Duane will not harass you again. (Apollo)
Thanks, but I prefer to clean up my messes myself. (Pamela)
Now you sound like my sister. (Apollo)
I'll take that as a scary compliment. (Pamela)
It was meant as one. (Apollo)


5 out of 5 



Also, will be having a short book excerpt, most probably the epilogue out sometime this or next week. Depending on how much time I have and the homework load that I have to finish. 
Foreverly Obsessed,
Riv

No comments:

Post a Comment