Saturday, January 11, 2014

Six Moon Summer

Six Moon Summer by S.M. Reine
ISBN: 1257148834
Pages: 198
Appearance:

Summary:
Rylie's been bitten.
She's changing.
And now she has three months to find a cure before becoming a werewolf... forever.
Rylie Gresham hates everything about summer camp: the food, the fresh air, the dumb activities, and the other girls in her cabin. But the worst part is probably being bitten by a werewolf. Being a teenager is hard enough, but now she's craving raw flesh and struggles with uncontrollable anger. If she doesn't figure out a way to stop the transformation, then at the end of summer, her life is worse than over. She'll be a monster.



Hey everyone! Welcome to...haha just kidding. Anyway, welcome to my book review for the FIRST book in the SEASONS OF MOON quartet. I think it's called a quartet. Moving on, I was super skeptical to read this because honestly, I'm not a big fan of werewolves. I read waaaay too many were wolf stories on Wattpad so I'm not too motivated to read "published" werewolf books. Does that make any sense? But, of course being the cheapie Asian that I am, I found out the entire quartet was FREE on Amazon which is pretty darn awesome. So I thought I'd check it out.

From the reviews I've read, this is S.M. Reine's debut series? I don't know if it's true, but if it is, she did a pretty good job. My one problem was the writing style. I have nothing against it, there were just a lot of repetition. For ex: Riley did this. Then Riley did this. Then Riley did this. Yeah, like that. It was just really repetitive with a lot of Rileys. The sentences also seemed a bit chopping. I'm going a bit ahead of myself, but I already finished the rest of the series (reviews coming!) and the writing definitely smooths itself out and flows a lot better. So that's good!

Mostly due to the choppy writing style, the beginning of the book was a bit hard to get into. I read about a couple percents (cause this is on the Kindle) and found it really hard to keep going. Don't get me wrong the plot line definitely caught my attention because it was so different, but it was hard to really get into the book. After a couple chapters and boring substitute periods in school, I managed to breeze through the rest of the book and series relatively quickly.

The plotline. S.M. Reine you have one heck of a creative imagination. Unlike most werewolf (now abr. it as WW) stories, the werewolf isn't some "hot" alpha or a mindless killing machine. Well there are a couple of mindless killing machines in the first book and they are wolves but the main character didn't quite get that far in her "wolfy" development yet. So, meet Rylie. She's your typical teenage girl who is shipped off to summer camp while her parents clean up their divorce. She's pretty P.O.ed about the camp and after rebelliously escaping into the night, gets attacked by a big and bad WW and bitten. She wakes up in her cabin the next morning with an insatiable hunger for meat (she's a vegetarian) and silver claw marks across her chest.

She also meets Seth, cute guy of the story, who helps her discover what happened and plan for a way to prevent turning into a WW. She essentially has 6 moons before completing her transformation into the WW world and she doesn't want that to happen. Seth becomes essentially her anchor and their relationship slowly blossoms as they struggle to suppress the wolf. The big bad WW turns out to be someone they least expect it to be with a diabolical evil plan that can very well be classified as teenage trafficking for WW. If that makes any sense. Some people die and Rylie's sixth moon change is coming.

Big bad WW comes in and goes a berserk spree and runs off with Seth who begs Rylie to avoid shifting because guess what? He's not exactly a WW's best friend if you know what I mean. Rylie, driven by love makes the jump between human to half human half wolf to save him and they lived happily ever after. Not.

Sorry, I didn't mean to that. It just slipped out and I decided to keep it. :) Definite cliff hanger ending but it brings you nicely into the second book of the series called All Hallows Moon whose review is coming up next week! Another sorry if I gave away a bit too much of the story, you should still read it, but I thought giving a general summary might make things flow a bit easier? Anyway, I'll see you guys in my next post! Byeee~


“The question isn't "Why do we die?" The question is "Why do we live?” 




Click here if you can't see the video

3 out of 5 stars

Foreverly Obsessed,
Riv

No comments:

Post a Comment