Monday, October 12, 2015

Mini Review: Jane Unwrapped

ASIN: B014CR0PQA
Pages: 238
Source: Entangled Teen
Publication Date: October 12, 2015
Appearance:
26598923
Some tombs should never be opened...
Fluorine uranium carbon potassium. Jane’s experiment really went wrong this time. After a fatal accident, teen scientist Jane becomes the first modern-day...mummy. Waking up in the Egyptian underworld without a heart certainly isn’t the best—especially when it means Anubis, god of embalming, has to devour her soul. Yuck. But when Jane meets the drop-dead gorgeous god, suddenly she's thinking this might not be the worst thing to happen. And then she is pushed to do the impossible—just time-travel and kill King Tut. Well, every experiment has variables which can end in disaster... Jane just wishes she could decide whether she wants to strangle Anubis or kiss him.

Hello everyone! Welcome to my review for Jane Unwrapped which just released today! Since this is a mini review, I'm going to jump straight into the review~

I have always been fascinated by mythology for the longest time but for some reason I never made it to exploring Egyptian mythology. For the limited amount of knowledge that I have, this book wasn't difficult to get into. The plot is really interesting and has a steady buildup to the final climax.

The only problem I really have with this book is the characters. I felt like they weren't as fleshed out as I would have liked them to be. For such a fascinating story, I felt really detached from Jane. Honestly, the only person I liked was Anubis and he spent a chunk of the book as a jackal. I did grow to like Jane but at the beginning, I found myself being pretty annoyed by the random inserts of her facts. I know she's supposed to be an extremely smart person, but they felt out of place. As for the love triangle (?) between Jane, Tut, and Anubis...I liked Tut as a person but he was just a weak character compared to Anubis so it's no surprise whose team I'm on. 

The ending was a bit too abrupt for my liking. I really enjoyed the "battle" scene between Aten and Jane, but everything just seemed to wrap up in a little bow and that was the end of it. Not exactly sure if this is going to be turned into a series but if it isn't, my interest in Egyptian mythology has begun to develop and I'm definitely going to looking more into it. 

*Huge thanks to Entangled Teen for providing a copy to review. All thoughts are 100% my own*

 3 out of 5 stars

Foreverly Obsessed,

No comments:

Post a Comment