Saturday, February 6, 2016

Review: 2 AM at the Cat's Pajamas

ISBN: 0804140235
Pages: 272
Source: Blogging for Books
Publication Date: August 5, 2014
Initial Reaction: Emoji
A sparkling, enchanting and staggeringly original debut novel about one day in the lives of three unforgettable characters.
Madeleine Altimari is a smart-mouthed, precocious nine-year-old and an aspiring jazz singer. As she mourns the recent death of her mother, she doesn’t realize that on Christmas Eve she is about to have the most extraordinary day—and night—of her life. After bravely facing down mean-spirited classmates and rejection at school, Madeleine doggedly searches for Philadelphia's legendary jazz club The Cat's Pajamas, where she’s determined to make her on-stage debut. On the same day, her fifth grade teacher Sarina Greene, who’s just moved back to Philly after a divorce, is nervously looking forward to a dinner party that will reunite her with an old high school crush, afraid to hope that sparks might fly again. And across town at The Cat's Pajamas, club owner Lorca discovers that his beloved haunt may have to close forever, unless someone can find a way to quickly raise the $30,000 that would save it.
As these three lost souls search for love, music and hope on the snow-covered streets of Philadelphia, together they will discover life’s endless possibilities over the course of one magical night. A vivacious, charming and moving debut, 2 Am At The Cat's Pajamas will capture your heart and have you laughing out loud. 
 Hello everyone! Welcome to my review for 2 AM at the Cat's Pajamas! I can't believe this is my 300th review on the blog so I thought I'd give the special spot to this adorable book.

This book took a while for me to get into. It follows multiple point of views which can start off as being a bit confusing but before I knew it, I had completely fallen for the characters. Each person is extremely quirky and fun. However, before I fell in love with the characters, I spent a good portion of the book being thoroughly confused. Each POV is pretty short and the plot lines constantly switch which made things very difficult to follow. Despite that, I managed to sort through all the characters by around mid way.

The writing style is as quirky as the characters. It's almost lyrical at some moments and makes the book a really quick read. Personally, I think I definitely need to reread this book again because I just flew through the story and I feel like I probably missed something big. Besides, the writing is so nice it would be a great experience.

Madeleine is probably one of the most interesting little girls I have ever read about. Her mother died, and her father is drowning in grief. She has a penchant for bad words and also has one dream and that is to sing in public but it has been forbidden after her last experience. I wish there could have been more explanation as to what happens when she sings in public because it wasn't fully explored.

Other than Madeleine, my favorite character has to be the old dog Pedro. His POV was just really adorable to read from. The other characters kind of faded to the back of my mind and all the plot lines just somehow wound together.Overall, the story's really fun and adorable and I definitely need to find time to reread this book in the future.

*Huge thanks to Blogging for Books for providing a copy to review. All thoughts are 100% my own*
3.5/5 stars
  

Foreverly Obsessed,



No comments:

Post a Comment