Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Review: Air Awakens

ISBN: 1932549935 
Pages: 377
Source: YA Book Bound
Publication Date: April 27, 2015

Genre: YA High Fantasy
Initial Reaction: Emoji
A library apprentice, a sorcerer prince, and an unbreakable magic bond...
The Solaris Empire is one conquest away from uniting the continent, and the rare elemental magic sleeping in seventeen-year-old library apprentice Vhalla Yarl could shift the tides of war.
Vhalla has always been taught to fear the Tower of Sorcerers, a mysterious magic society, and has been happy in her quiet world of books. But after she unknowingly saves the life of one of the most powerful sorcerers of them all—the Crown Prince Aldrik—she finds herself enticed into his world. Now she must decide her future: Embrace her sorcery and leave the life she’s known, or eradicate her magic and remain as she’s always been. And with powerful forces lurking in the shadows, Vhalla’s indecision could cost her more than she ever imagined.


Hello everyone! Today I've got another review to share with you guys and I'm honestly so blown away by this book.

When I first marked this book as "currently reading" on Goodreads, someone commented saying that she really enjoyed the story and hoped I would enjoy it as well. Needless to say, I got pretty excited about this book following that comment and this book did not disappoint in the slightest. The world is so fascinating and the characters are so amazing that I think I may be suffering from a mild case of withdrawal.

I have always really liked reading books that dealt with elemental magic and this one is definitely no exception. The story follows our main character Vhalla Yarl who is a library apprentice and has grown up hearing stories of the sorcerers that protect the kingdom as being unnatural and evil. Imagine her surprise when she finds out that she is one of them. I loved how the author drew upon her natural curiosity and used that to build her slow acceptance of sorcerers and magic. The letters between Vhalla and her Phantom were a great way to see her slowly come to terms with things as well as informing the reader about the history of the world.

Vhalla was a pretty easy character to like as she has that inner fire that is so popular among many YA fantasy heroines. I really enjoyed her wit, determination, and love. She's grown up sheltered behind the thick library bookcases and finding out that she has magic and thrown her world in a complete loop. I absolutely died when the prince "tested" her to see her affinity and her reaction was just priceless.

Speaking of the prince, I have a new ship to add to my list. Vhalla and Aldrick are just absolutely perfect and the way they balance each other and how Aldrick just becomes a better person around her made me want to jump around in circles. Aldrick is your typical moody prince but he's a good reason for it as his father sees him as a representation of his magic and therefore a weapon for the empire. I will confess and say that my desire to continue the series is just to see their relationship continue to develop. When his brother came into the picture I was so worried and while I'm praying so hard that he doesn't end up as an obstacle, Baladair is still a good guy. He's just not good for Vhalla.

I find it funny how fantasy worlds always manage to make me rise up in protest because the governments are so clearly biased and judgmental. That plot twist at the end of the book that had Vhalla almost condemned was one of the hardest things I ever had to read because I was so scared of the outcome. I got so riled up while reading this my friends had to tell me to calm down.

With that being said, the world is so incredibly vivid and the characters and really well crafted. I need to get my hands on the second book  and the third and the whole entire series.


*Huge thanks to YA Bound Book Tours for providing a copy to review. All thoughts are 100% my own*
4 out of 5 stars 
 

Foreverly Obsessed,



No comments:

Post a Comment