Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Review: The Syndicate

ISBN: 978-1512371376
Pages: 586
Source: Author
Publication Date: March 1, 2016
Initial Reaction:
In a future where time travel has been outlawed, a black market exists for anyone with the money, connections, and nerve to request items from days past. As a Runner for one of the underground syndicates that now controls the timewaves, Stassi 2446-89 has seen it all: the fall of Rome, the rise of Hitler, the end of democracy, the establishment of time tourism, and the devastating consequences of it. Her job is to seamlessly slip through the past, in search of items of value to the syndicate's clientele.
Stassi's next assignment takes her to Paris in the 1920’s, in search of a lost manuscript by one of the twentieth century’s greatest writers. She and her partner, Gaige, are swept up in the City of Light during the height of fashion and culture—as alluring a locale as they’ve ever visited. But a seedier side of life lurks beneath the glamorous façade, and the pair quickly learns this run is more dangerous than any of their previous missions.
Because history isn’t playing out as it should be—a first for the syndicate. When the stakes are raised and it becomes a matter of life or death, Stassi and Gaige must ultimately decide how far they’re willing to go to ensure the future as they know it.
 Hello everyone! Today I have my review for The Syndicate by Sophie Davis! Today is also the release date for this fantastic book so be sure to check it out on Amazon (click the cover) to pick it up!

My first Sophie Davis book was Talented and it completely blew me away. Since then I've only read the second book in the Talented series but Sophie Davis has easily made it to my favorite authors list. I met her twice at BookCon (2014, 2015) and both times she was an absolute sweetheart. When I was able to get my hands on an arc of the Syndicate for review I was over the moon excited and after reading it, I'm so excited to jump back into Sophie Davis's books.

The Syndicate did not disappoint at all. It's a wonderful combination of action and humor that takes place in 1920s Paris which is full of flamboyant parties and great literature. I absolutely adored the historical setting on this story and its contrast from the futuristic world that the characters are originally from. The whole premise of time traveling was so wonderfully executed and while I wish I could have gotten to know more about the premise, the time traveling aspect was a great set up for the overall story. The simple idea of traveling back in time to retrieve artifacts is so cool and I desperately wish we could have that now.

Moving on to the characters, Sophie Davis has once again stolen my heart. I loved Stassi and Gaige from their witty banters to their undying dedication to each other. Their relationship as a team is firmly rooted in friendship, trust, and the willingness to do anything for each other. It was so cool to see the great writers of the 20th Century through a different lens from Ernest Hemingway to F. Scott Fitzgerald. I adored Hadley so much. She's like Daisy from the Great Gatsby with her flamboyant nature but with a wonderful personality. Then there's Charles Dupree. He is literally the perfect representation of a dream guy with his elegant nature. His relationship with Stassi was literally amazing and I desperately want answers.

Have I mentioned that this book is full of crazy twists and turns? As if traveling back to 1920s Paris to steal a manuscript of an unpublished novel, there's also a serial killer called the Night Gentleman who has never been documented before in history. Needless to say, I didn't think he'd be playing a big part in the book but I was mistaken and spent a good part of the ending frantically turning pages and jumping at every sound. I kind of wish we got more regarding his identity but he's not dead yet so there's still hope for that.

I think it's safe to say that I absolutely adored this book. Sophie Davis has a crazy amazing talent to spin a wonderful story that literally has a bit of everything. Please go pick it up and let me know your thoughts!!
4 out of 5 stars
 

Foreverly Obsessed,


No comments:

Post a Comment